Blog

3 Surefire Ways to Generate Book Ideas


By Jody Hedlund, @JodyHedlund

A friend came up to me at my son's basketball game last weekend and said she'd read my latest YA, An Uncertain Choice. She said she'd been curious how it compared to my adult books and seemed a bit surprised that she liked it just as much as my other books.

As we chatted, she asked, "How do you keep coming up with book ideas? I just don't understand how you can find so many different stories to write."

Since I'm smack-dab-in-the-middle of researching and plotting a future book, my friend's question really resonated. Later, I asked myself, "How can I continue to generate original ideas?"
Afterall, I don't ever want to get to a point where my well is dry, where I've sucked up every last drop and am left with a drought.

As I analyzed some of the ways I find ideas for my stories, I realized that three techniques work especially well for me:

1. Brainstorm with abandon.

While I'm researching and plotting, I spend hours upon hours brainstorming and coming up with ideas. I have a spiral notebook handy wherever I go, and I keep a running list of any and every idea that I could possibly include in my new book.

I don’t throw out anything at this point. I allow myself to list everything—even if it’s already been used, even if it sounds dumb. I scour books and biographies, and I jot down all the things that sound even the least bit interesting. I don’t hold anything back.

I unfetter my imagination and let it have free reign. I give myself permission to dream big, to see possibilities in everything, to ask "what if" with childlike abandon. Writing down one idea usually leads to another thought, and another, and another.

2. Focus on a few ideas and make them even better.

Once I have pages of ideas, I start going through my list and picking out the things I like best and narrowing down the ideas that I think might work. I try to hone in on the ideas that are more original, unique, interesting, out-of-the-ordinary, freakish, or fascinating.

I figure if some of the ideas really fascinate me (like rat torture–read about it my new YA!), then it will probably be something fun (and gross) for my readers.

After I have a narrower list, I start to say things like,

• This is wild. But what could make it wilder?

• I like this situation, but what could make it tenser?”

• What's worse than that?

• How can I make this even larger than life?

• What's more dangerous?

• What other conflict can I add?

3. Finally, just write.

At some point, we have to take what we’ve got and just start writing. Even if we think our ideas are boring, cliché, and predictable, we have to write.

I’ve found that the process of writing is one of the biggest keys for stirring my creativity even more. No matter what ideas I come up with before the first draft, invariably once I start writing, my ideas grow and change into something so much more than I could have planned.

When we fill the page with words, when we work our writing muscles hard, when we push ourselves to get something on the paper, then we’re able to open our imagination even further. New ideas come to life that aren’t possible during the planning phase.

Summary: “You need to come up with hundreds of ideas, toss out the ones that don’t grab you, and then nurture and develop what’s left.” ~Bell (Plot & Structure)





What about YOU? How do you keep your idea well from running dry? How do you generate original ideas?

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Jody. I already do some of this, but I do need to be more diligent about writing down ideas that come to me when I'm away from home. I carry a small notebook in my purse just for that, but maybe I need to carry a full-size notebook so that's it's right at my fingertips.

    I liked last week's post as well. Reading is definitely an invaluable tool for writers, and it can also give you ideas for a story of your own.

    I also like what you wrote about how your story grows and changes when you actually begin to write. I find that my characters often speak to me and let me know if something works or doesn't work (not audibly, of course), but I do hold conversations, in my head, with my main characters and often after walking away from the day's writing, I turn over what I wrote in my head and think about the possibilities for the next day's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jody. I already do some of this, but I do need to be more diligent about writing down ideas that come to me when I'm away from home. I carry a small notebook in my purse just for that, but maybe I need to carry a full-size notebook so that's it's right at my fingertips.

    I liked last week's post as well. Reading is definitely an invaluable tool for writers, and it can also give you ideas for a story of your own.

    I also like what you wrote about how your story grows and changes when you actually begin to write. I find that my characters often speak to me and let me know if something works or doesn't work (not audibly, of course), but I do hold conversations, in my head, with my main characters and often after walking away from the day's writing, I turn over what I wrote in my head and think about the possibilities for the next day's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tips! I am not an author but I dream to become one in future.
    With practice comes the idea. I look forward to reading your books.
    Regards
    Yeshi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign!
    work from home moms

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best place to avail Online Assignment Help service that I would recommend is CFS. The experts are highly skilled and brilliant in their academic disciplines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Blog !
    Our team at QuickBooks Customer Service handles everything from start to finish amid the infectious outbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog !
    Our team at QuickBooks Customer Service Number has been successfully managing and fulfilling all the needs of business owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you looking for low-cost assignment help australia and support? Several websites provide assignment support at a low cost, with special discounts and offers.
    You can browse those websites and, after verifying their legitimacy, contact them with your assignment questions. Furthermore, it will allow you to save time and focus on other subject assignments.
    Some of our services:
    Why is Assignment Quality Check Important?
    Make your assignment error free
    Essential Principles of Management
    Benefits Of Using Our Services Instead Of A Paraphrasing Tool

    ReplyDelete

© All the articles in this blog are copyrighted and may not be used without prior written consent from the author. You may quote without permission if you give proper credit and links. Thank you!